Thursday, July 7, 2011

And a Happy Good Morning...


"Programming a DJ Show"
By Bob Crane
Hit Parader, April 1955

Greetings Hit Paraders:

"I'm Bob Crane of WICC, Bridgeport, Conn., and I'd like to tell you a little something on the way I program my d.j. show.

Bob Crane / circa 1951
WICC Publicity Still
Courtesy of WICC
"You take three turntables, two tape machines, sixty commercials, two networks, 2,000 gimmick voices, a cup of java, two donuts, mix well with a two-headed, three-armed d.j., and you're all set to pick the music.

"With the above obstacles in mind, plus the thought of arriving on time every morning at 6:06 to begin my 6:00 to 10:00 a.m. mess, I begin to tremble. Wiping beads of perspiration from my brow, brought on by some disc company sending me 45's by mistake, I drag myself to our library, stacked with 78's and 33's and sit down to wonder: Is it worth it?

"Hey, look who just dropped in? George Fairweather, the promoter, with his new sensational disc, (Oh darn, what was that tune?). It's selling like records in South Bend (that's a switch). What ever happened to those hotcakes I ordered with the coffee? Oh sure, I'm playing George's disc; it's on Dot, or was it Four Star? No, Columbia! Impossible; they don't send 78's. Well anyway, it was nice meeting Harry again, or was it Frank? I'll mumble his name when he leaves -- he'll never know. Darn it, where did I leave those tickets to 'Pajama Game' the last plugger left? Sure, I'll give the tune a ride, sir. There, that wasn't half as dull as I thought it would be.

"What? Time to go home? Ah heck, I was just getting warmed up. But I'll be back for tomorrow's a.m. chore, and we'll go some more."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Notes: Bob Crane was a gifted writer, having published many articles in various magazines and newspapers over the years. He also wrote the skits he used in his radio show; comedy segments for the album Bob Crane, His Drums, and Orchestra Play the Funny Side of TV; and scripts.

The musical The Pajama Game debuted on Broadway on May 13, 1954, with original cast members John Raitt; Janis Paige; Eddie Foy, Jr.; Carol Haney; Reta Shaw; Ralph Dunn; Stanley Pager; Peter Gennaro; and Shirley MacLaine. In 1957, it was made into a movie starring Doris Day, John Raitt,  Carol Haney, and Eddie Foy, Jr.